Say whaaaat!? Yup, if you’re still here after reading black bean brownies, I thank you.
I do have a flare for the dramatic when it comes to food but I guarantee , they ARE mind-blowing because they are super delicious and taste like they’re terrible for you. Isn’t that what we are all looking for, the proverbial healthy Big Mac??
By the name alone, you’d never guess that they’d be so chocolatey and decadent. By the look and taste of them, you’d never guess that they were A) flourless, B) made with beans (for heaven’s sake), C) gluten-free , D) high in fibre and E) low in fat.
MAKE THEM…trust me!
Oh! and make sure to do what everybody who’s tried these told me to do…(always in a whispery voice for some reason), “Serve them and don’t tell anyone what they are made with….wait for the compliments and then tell them“. Tee-hee-hee The prospect of this was exciting! Of course, I couldn’t bear it… I was staring at my recipients with this wild smile, waited 4 seconds and then said “sooooooo, can you guess the secret ingredient????”
As expected, people loved them and could not believe they were made with black beans. After you tell people, they are usually boggled, they will stare at them, then they take a bite, furrow their brow and look out into the distance lol
I truly felt that I was let in on an amazing secret that only a choice few knew about. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
(no, they do not cause gastric distress.)
Mind-Blowing Black Bean Brownies
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground coffee or instant coffee (I used instant espresso which I had bought to use in another recipe)
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mist a non-stick 8 x 8-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the beans and pulse 10-15 times. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add eggs, and pulse an additional 10-15 times or until well-combined.
- Add cocoa powder, sugar, olive oil, almond milk, vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, and instant coffee. Pulse to fully combine. Remove the blade of the stand mixer and carefully stir in ½ cup chocolate chips; transfer to the baking pan, spreading batter to the edges. Sprinkle the top with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick is cleanly removed.