This recipe is so easy, quick to prepare and really delicious! You don’t need to boil the cauliflower beforehand; just grate and sauté with all the usual great stuff that goes into traditional fried rice! Except for the rice of course. You won’t miss it, I promise.
Yes, I know, this is yet another recipe where Cauliflower is cleverly used as a substitute for another ingredient. It used to be largely ignored, only ever associated with veggies n’ ranch dip and known to cause “the smelliest farts on earth” apparently. Nowadays the possibilities with this unassuming veggie are endless, almost annoyingly so! Pizza crust, calzone crust, fried “rice”, mashed “potatoes”, “couscous”, “Fatouche” salad, “bread” rolls and even f-ing Cauliflower “steak”! Although admittedly, I always try making them because I’m curious of the outcome; curious to know if it will taste just like the food who’s identity it’s stealing. Its creepy; it can be….a n y t h i n g.
They’ve even invented Cauliflower Dip. So that we can dip cauliflower into some more cauliflower? Come on!
Anyway, seriously this was so delicious that I am craving it right now as I am writing to you. I read the post to my husband and now he’s craving it too. I hope you enjoy it!
Don’t forget to serve this along with my favorite à coté : Wing Wong egg rolls (You know, to counter-balance the healthiness of the dish – Tee-hee) Gluten-free if you use Tamari sauce instead of Soy sauce.
Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- (Optional) Cooked chicken breast
- Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil with eggs in a bowl then whisk to combine and set aside. Chop cauliflower head into big chunks then send through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment. Alternatively you could grate the cauliflower on a box grater. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then save the rest for another use.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cauliflower, green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables then stir fry until cauliflower is just beginning to turn tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, and cooked chicken, if using. Season with salt and pepper, and then continue to stir fry until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Push mixture to the sides of the wok to create an opening in the center then add the eggs and scramble. Toss mixture to combine then drizzle in gluten-free Tamari and mix again to combine. Serve hot.
2 responses to “Cauliflower Fried “Rice””
Can’t wait to try this tonight!
Can’t wait to try this tonight! Looks so good.