This easy ham fried rice is so good, you’ll forget all about the chicken 😉 and it can be thrown together within 20 minutes!
I’m sure you’ve seen all sorts of fried rice on menus these days such as duck, cauliflower, short rib and even fois gras. Ham is tender, offering great texture and goes so well with the flavors – ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame. If your ham is smoked and/or glazed, all the better! Also, it’s easy to find at any grocery store and hardly requires prep time!
Also, fun fact, my husband loves two foods above all – cheese sandwiches of any kind and fried rice. He said he loves this recipe and actually prefers it over his old fav, chicken! So you have a real testimonial there! I hope you love this recipe as much as we do.
Don’t forget to visit my Instagram page to see how I made it and to see my other easy weeknight meals.
The Best Ham Fried Rice
- 1 Wok or wide frying pan
- 2 Cups leftover rice cold
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 Cup frozen peas
- 1/3 Cup carrot, diced
- 1 Cup ham cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp low sodium chicken stock
- 1 -2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 3 green onions thinly sliced, diagonal
- 1 Tbsp Ginger minced very finely
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- Leftover, cold rice works best. If you want to make it day of, lay the warm cooked rice on a baking sheet and refrigerate until cold. Use wet fingers to separate the grains as much as possible.
- Preheat your wok or skillet on medium and add 1 tbsp of sesame oil. Carefully swish the oil around to coat up the sides of the wok.
- Add beaten eggs to the wok and again, swish the pan to create a thin egg layer. Using chopsticks or a rubber spatula, stir egg to create a fine scramble. Once set, remove to a medium bowl.
- Add another tbsp of oil to the same wok/pan and add your garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add the ham, carrots and peas to the pan and sauté until carrots are tender. Remove to the bowl containing the eggs.
- Add the final tbsp of oil to the wok over med-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the rice and toss every 30 seconds until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, soy sauce and green onion. Toss to combine. Return eggs, ham and veggies to the pan and combine.
- Add more soy sauce if desired and garnish with more green onion or chives, soy sauce glaze and sriracha for some heat.