I’ve got your new favourite summer cocktail right here! I rarely share cocktail recipes so you know it’s gotta be good! It’s easy to make, it’s bright, a little sweet and tart with a touch of smokiness from the Mezcal. Plus, its got Tajin and raw sugar rim that compliments the flavours in the drink so well. And perhaps the best part is that it’s also a pitcher cocktail (or batch cocktail) which makes it ideal for entertaining larger groups. You can even prepare most of it in advance so when your guests arrive all you do is add your rim, ice, pour in your cocktail mix and that’s it, you’ve got a party!
My husband and I aren’t great at making mixed drinks to begin with; we like to go out for those and we usually stick to what we know. We like Vodka Martinis, (extra olives for me, blue cheese if you’ve got ‘em) And frankly, I just can’t imagine hosting a party and also having to whip up individual cocktails. If you do or if your partner handles that, you’re lucky and more power to you! In fact, invite me over for your next get-together.
Since traveling to Miami regularly, I discovered Mezcal and oh my, do I love it! Mezcal is derived from Agave, similar to tequila and the way it’s distilled gives it a smokey flavour. Well, different brands can be smokier than others. I found one that’s perfectly balanced Sueno de Alden Mezcal Artesanal and it’s priced well too. If you don’t like Mezcal, sub with your favourite tequila.
In this cocktail the Mezcal is combined with Hibiscus syrup (super easy to make). In case you didn’t know, Hibiscus is an edible flower that is high in anti-oxidants and has many health benefits including, reducing hypertension, reducing bad bacteria in the body and even can promote weight loss. Admittedly, pairing it with alcohol and sugar may compromise those benefits but hey, we knew we weren’t making a health tonic here, right?
And you might be thinking, “Where am I gonna find dried hibiscus?? Well, don’t worry, it’s easily found on Amazon and at most Middle Eastern grocery stores.
All set? Let’s go!
Note: This recipe calls for 2 cups of Mezcal and it’s quite potent. You can put a bit less if you wanna keep it light.
Add this to your summer cocktail list and let me know what you think! Check out my Instagram account for this and other great recipes and step-by-step videos!
Hibiscus Mezcal Pitcher Cocktails!
- 1 Pitcher
- 1 long cocktail spoon or wooden spoon
- 8 Coupes or short “rocks” glasses If you use coupes, you can serve more people
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers
- 2-3 cups Mezcal or Tequila or even Vodka
- 1 1/2 cups lime juice from 12 to 14 medium limes or store bought
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange liqueur such as Cointreau or Triple Sec
- 1 medium lime
- Tajin The majority of the mix
- Raw sugar to taste
- Kosher salt or flaky salt A pinch
Hibiscus simple syrup
- Place 1 cup water, 1 cup granulated sugar, and 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers in a small saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let sit until completely cooled, about 1 hour. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer set over a small bowl, and press on the solids to release as much liquid as possible. Save a few of the larger petals to garnish your drinks. Discard the rest of them. Refrigerate syrup in an airtight container until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, combine rim ingredients. Taste and adjust. Place rim mix in a small shallow rimmed dish and set aside
- Pour the hibiscus syrup into a pitcher. Add 2 cups mezcal (or tequila), 1 1/2 cups lime juice, 1 1/2 cups water, and 1/2 cup orange liqueur, and stir to combine.
- Cut 1 medium lime into wedges or wheels.
- Slide the a lime wedge along the edge of each glass. You could do half the glass with a little going down the side or go all the way around. I like a half-dip, personally 😉
- To serve, fill each glass with ice pour in the cocktail and garnish with a slice of lime, maybe a dried hibiscus flower and CHEERS!!
2 responses to “Hibiscus & Mezcal Pitcher Cocktails”
Tried it at Christmas and loved it! I hope you serve it again next family party 🙏
And Easter! Lol so happy you liked it 😊