Sorry, what now? Yup this recipe has gone viral on every single platform and because I like Big Macs, Smash Burgers and Tacos, I obviously had to jump on the bandwagon. The great news is that the hype was real!
The recipe I have right here for Big Mac sauce tastes like the real thing and you probably have all or most of the ingredients in your fridge right now.
I made these with my go-to, signature chicken burger mixture but feel free to use beef! The reason I decided to go “chicken” on these is simply because my chicken burger recipe is THE best I’ve ever tasted/made. They’re so flavourful with the best texture because you add mashed avocado and a little mayo making them so moist and tender. (two words we all love but I really couldn’t find better descriptors). The addition of Worcestershire sauce, makes them taste a little beefy tasting. Trust me on this one, you’ve just gotta try.
The main thing with this recipe isn’t so much the meat. It’s more about the Big Mac sauce, the “shredduce” (shredded lettuce) and processed cheese and the fact that you’re making this into a Taco.
Let’s discuss tortillas. On the day I made these I had Siete GF tortillas made with chickpea flour and they worked out great in this recipe. Alternately, I would go with wheat tortillas over corn for this recipe even though I prefer my real tacos with corn tortillas. I just find wheat tortillas are more forgiving. They’re pliable and toast up nicely.
Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos
- 1 Griddle or large non-stick or cast iron pan
- 1 Ice cream scooper
- 1 spatula
- mixing bowls of various sizes
- 6 Small wheat tortillas or Siete GF tortillas
- Cooking oil spray for griddle
- 1/2 Avocado mashed
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp mayonnais
- 1 tsp Sriracha divided
- 1 tsp kosher salt plus more
- 1/2 medium onion or 1/4 if large grated on the large holes of your grater or mince finely
- 1 lb Ground chicken or Turkey
Homemade Big Mac Sauce
- 1/2 cup quality mayonnaise
- 2 tsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 small head of iceberg lettuce sliced ultra thin on a mandolin or by hand. (to make Shredduce)
- Round pickle slices
- Minced onion
- Add mashed avocado, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cumin, mayo and Sriracha to a medium bowl and mix to fully combine, add grated onion, and ground chicken. Combine until ingredients are fully incorporated. If you’ve got the time, let the mix sit in the fridge for at least 30 mins as it doesn’t contain eggs to bind it. The fridge time helps with that.
- Meanwhile, make the Big Mac sauce.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. You can make this days ahead and keep refrigerated. It gets better over time. Stir before serving. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Makes about 3/4 cups.
- When you’re ready to make your smash tacos, heat a griddle or pan to med, med-high. Spray griddle with oil.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop meat mixture onto the center of the tortilla and ‘smash it”, meat side down onto the griddle and press down with a spatula to spread the meat thin and even. It won’t take long for the meat to be cooked through. Then using your spatula flip the taco over and add your cheese on top of the meat, allowing it to soften. When the tortilla has browned in spots, fold the tortilla in half and remove to your serving plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep them warm.
- Once all of your smash tacos are done, It’s time to dress them! Add ketchup, mustard and onion, lettuce and Big Mac sauce. Tuck in some pickle slices here and there and enjoy!