Layers of creamy vanilla bean and strawberry ice creams with a light-as-air angel food cake center and cookie/pretzel crust. Sounds great doesn’t it? It is! I served it to some friends the other day and they loved it! My husband who at first refused the cake said, “I’m not a strawberry ice cream person”, and later ate two pieces. I think it’s the combination of flavors and textures of each component so even if you’re not a strawberry ice cream person, the frozen strawberries on top and slightly salty pretzel crust, create a good balance.
I love an ice cream cake with actual cake in it. That’s why I decided to add a thin layer of store-bought angel food cake between the ice cream layers. I was careful not to add too thick a layer of cake because there’s a crust as well which is borderline weird. The reason it works is because it’s mostly ice cream, just a little cake and the crust.
I decided to make this recipe using store-bought ingredients to make this as easy as possible. You should know before you start that it does require a little freezing time between ice cream layers and then once it’s all assembled. It’s worth the wait 😉
The cookie and pretzel crust is probably my favourite part. It has lots of texture and flavour. The sweet caramel cookie flavour plays so nicely with the toasty saltiness of the pretzels. It satisfies every craving. I used Biscoff cookies again because I had them from previous recipes but you can use gingersnap cookies or even graham crackers.
For more easy recipes, step-by-steps and daily meal inspo, visit me on Instagram!
What’s great about this recipe is that now that you have the “formula” you can change things up endlessly. Make this an Oreo cake, Ferrero Rocher, Peanut butter/pretzel, Mixed berry etc… The possibilities are endless!
I hope you love this recipe. Enjoy!
Strawberry & Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Pretzel Crust
- 1 Cup small salted pretzels pulsed into crumbs (not too fine)
- 15 Lotus Biscoff cookies or Gingersnap or Graham Crackers
- 6 Tbsp salted butter melted
- 5 Cups vanilla ice cream
- 4 Cups strawberry ice cream
- 1/4 Cup strawberry jam or other berry jam
- 1 Cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 Store bought angel food cake cut into 1 inch thick slices and then torn into large chunks
- Optional toppings: Crushed cookies & pretzels Halved pretzels, small fresh mint or basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a little overhang so you can eventually lift the cake out with it.In a food processor, pulse the pretzels and cookies into fine crumbs. Slightly bigger pieces are ok.Add to a bowl and add the butter and mix until the mixture holds together when pinched. Press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes or so and allow to cool. Alternately, you can freeze it for 15 minutes * see note. Scoop 4 cups vanilla ice cream out onto the crust. Flatten/spread into an even layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Tear pieces of the cake slices over vanilla ice cream, fitting the pieces together tightly like a puzzle. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and press down. Store in the freezer while you prepare your Strawberry ice cream. Dollop the strawberry ice cream onto the cake layer and begin to flatten and even it out with the back of a large spoon. Add dollops of jam and swirl into the strawberry ice cream. Smooth it out and Freeze for 30 minsTake a 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream and flatten/spread onto the strawberry layer. It’s ok if the two ice creams blend a little, it’s pretty. Top with sliced strawberries and other toppings if desired. Wrap the cake and freeze 4 hours or until fully frozen. Remove the cake from the freezer. Use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan. Let sit 5 minutes. Slice and enjoy!