Blistered Green Beans with Brown Butter Vinaigrette
Green beans are the perfect canvas for any number of flavour pairings. In this case, toasty, crunchy hazelnuts, crispy sage, brown butter and Dijon are at the forefront adding a satisfying crunch, depth and a hit of acidity.The complexity of the flavours and textures will elevate your green beans to weekend entertaining standards but it's quick and easy enough for a weeknight meal. That is my idea of a great recipe!
- 1 Cast iron skillet optional
- 16-20 20 sage leaves from about 4 sprigs, coarsely torn
- ½ cup coarsely chopped blanched hazelnuts
- 2 tsp. plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp. Diamond Crystal or 1½ tsp. Morton kosher salt divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small garlic clove finely grated
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 lb. green beans trimmed
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high. Combine 16–20 sage leaves (from about 4 sprigs), coarsely torn, and ½ cup coarsely chopped blanched hazelnuts in pan and drizzle 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil over. Sprinkle with ½ tsp. Diamond Crystal or ¼ tsp. Morton kosher salt and season with freshly ground black pepper. Toast, stirring often, until nuts are golden and sage is crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out skillet and reserve.
- Place 1 small garlic clove, finely grated, in a medium bowl. Heat 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter in reserved skillet over medium-high, swirling often, until melted and foaming. Add 1 medium shallot, finely chopped, and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter turns golden brown and smells nutty and shallot is lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Pour brown butter mixture into bowl with garlic, scraping up browned bits stuck to bottom of pan. Add 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, and ½ tsp. Diamond Crystal or ¼ tsp. Morton kosher salt and whisk to combine; season with pepper. Set vinaigrette aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high. Add 1 lb. green beans, trimmed, sprinkle with 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt, and season with pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until bright green and charred in spots but still crisp-tender, 5–7 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat process with remaining 1 lb. green beans, trimmed, 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt, and more pepper. Remove from heat and return all of the green beans to skillet (if they don’t fit, use a large bowl instead). Add reserved vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Transfer dressed green beans to a platter and top with hazelnuts and sage.
Recipe from Bon Appetit Magazine Charred Green Beans With Brown Butter Vinaigrette Recipe | Bon Appétit (bonappetit.com)