A delicious robust salad that can totally withstand dressing and become even more delicious as it sits so it’s an ideal make-ahead recipe! Each ingredient offers its own flavour and contrasting notes; the bright tang from the apples, spice from the dijon, toastiness from the seeds and nuttiness of the parmesan, to name a few. This is my favourite salad for any time of year 😉
Recipe found on Bon Appetit!
A delicious robust salad that can totally withstand dressing and become even more delicious as it sits so it’s an ideal make-ahead recipe! Apples, dijon, and toasted pumpkin seeds go so well together, each offering their own flavours and contrasting notes; the bright tang from the apples, spice from the dijon, toastiness from the seeds and nuttiness of the parmesan.
- 1/4 cup Raw sunflower seeds or Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup teaspoon plus ⅓extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ small shallot
- ½ large lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale ¾ pound
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 2 ounces Parmesan
- 1 Pink Lady apple
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss ¼ cup sunflower seeds and 1 tsp. oil on a small rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt. Roast until darkened and very fragrant, 7–10 minutes. Let cool.
- Alternately, toast them in a pan on the stovetop with a little oil or butter and season with salt! (my favourite method)
- Meanwhile, start to build vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Finely chop shallot half and transfer to bowl.
- Juice lemon half over bowl discarding any seeds; you should have about 2 Tbsp. juice.
- Using a microplane, finely rate 1 garlic clove into bowl. Whisk in 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard; season with salt and pepper. Allow to sit while you wash your salad.
- Wash and dry 1 bunch kale, then pat leaves dry with a clean towel. Strip leaves from thick stems, discarding stems, then thinly slice leaves. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Trim knobby end of 6 oz. brussels sprouts and pull off any dried or gnarly outer leaves. Cut all brussels in half lengthwise, then arrange halves cut side down on board and very thinly slice. Add to bowl with kale.
- Grate 2 oz. Parmesan on the small holes of a box grater.
- Slice 1 apple in half, cut out core and seeds, then thinly slice. Add to bowl with kale. Snack on remaining apple. 🙂
- Whisk in honey and then remaining ⅓ cup oil into bowl with lemon mixture.
- Drizzle dressing over kale mixture; season with salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to coat.
- Add cheese and sunflower seeds and toss lightly to incorporate.
Do Ahead: Dressing, kale mixture, and toasted sunflower seeds can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover dressing and kale mixture separately and chill. Cover sunflower seeds and store at room temperature.
Recipe by Claire Saffitz